It is your responsibility to train your Labradoodle puppy to have good behavior skills as he or she becomes a dog that will respond Appropriately in all situations which will ensure safe and enjoyable times for you your puppy and other people who come in contact with you and your puppy.
There are many philosophies on puppy and dog training. Some methods are based on punitive principals but the preferred methods these days are reward and praise-based.
The goal should be to communicate with your pet about the difference between acceptable and unacceptable behavior. Repetition and consistency are the keys to achieving this.
Socializing Puppy Introduce puppy to all of the sights, environments, and situations that you can
Your puppy needs to learn how to act around others and outside his home. Go to parks or hiking where there are lots of people so he learns to feel comfortable in social settings.
Disciplining Puppy You should start disciplining puppy right away. Use a firm ‘NO’ and lots of praise to differentiate between things you want him to do and don’t. Two things that puppies do by nature are bite when they play, and chew. Bite and chew , bite and chew.
When these occur, tell puppy ‘no’ emphatically and give puppy something they are allowed to chew. Reward the good behavior you like by praising puppy and give puppy a chew toys or treats.
There are lots of good book on dog training! Here are a few we recommend…
- The Puppy Primer and Leader of the Pack by Patricia McConnell Ph.D. Her website has a lot of excellent resources.
Maybe, just go to your library and check out some books …*
- Beginning Obedience by Nikki Moustaki
- Raising a Behaviorally Healthy Puppy by Suzanne Hetts, PhD
- The Dog Listener by Jan Fennell
* The Other End of the Leach by Patricia McConnell Ph.D.
* Dogs are from Neptune by Jean Donaldson – understanding dogs
* Dog Tricks for Dummies, by Sarah Hodgson
* Dog Parties by Kimberly Whitman – dogie treat recipes
good dog care book ~
- Dog Owner’s Home Veterinary Handbook by James Giff M.D.
- Homeopathic Care for Cats and Dogs, Revised Edition: Small Doses for Small Animals by Don Hamilton and Richard Pitcairn.
Good Puppy info: ” Puppies for Dummies”, Sharing some interesting puppy maturing stages.Click on photo to enlarger.
There are several baby growing-up -steps as your Labradoodle puppy develops into a dog. Review what book has to say about all K9’s maturing stages … your Doodle pup may show some challenging maturing stages, but much much mellower growing up-pains than other dog breeds.
It’s a perfect time to check-out some fun collars at the Dog Collar Boutique (click) find their logo & link
Happy Doodle days,
get your lovely Doodle a fun collar.