• We are a certified IALA 'Silver Paw' breeder.
    We are a member of the Australian Labradoodle Association of America (ALAA).
    We are a member of the Australian Labradoodle Club of America (ALCA).
    We are a Recommended Australian Labradoodle Breeder.
    To connect with us on Facebook click the paw!
    Paw Link to Facebook
  • Contact Us Anytime!

    Photo of Melanie Derwey
    I love my Labradoodles and enjoy talking about them. Feel free to email or call me any time! —Melanie


    Or call my assistant and daughter Angela at 360.910.0491
  • Secure Your Puppy!

    Use Acceptance Mark to send your $300 deposit, required for any puppy you wish to purchase:

  • GorgeousDoodles Family 2007
    GorgeousDoodles Family 2007
    Addison holding Penelope a Labradoodle
    Addison holding Penelope a Labradoodle
    Gorgeousdoodles Kristina Breeder in Utah
    Gorgeousdoodles Kristina Breeder in Utah

Prevent Dog Poisonings

Have you taken inventory of your medicine cabinets lately ? Now that summer lawn and garden care is in full swing, are you properly storing pesticide containers ? When you tidy up around the house, do you put food, liquor, and tobacco products safely out of harm’s way? These precautions are second nature to households with children, but homes with animals must be just as secure. Let’s tour a typical home and see what we find.

If you suspect your animal may have ingested any of the substances on this list or if you pet shows any of the symptoms indicated below, you should consider the situation a medical emergency and should contact your veterinarian immediately. Be sure to bring any containers or the remains of any substance you think your pet may have swallowed with you.

Organophosphates, identified as malathion, diazinon, and fenthion, and carbamates, most commonly known as carbaryl and carbofuran, are neurological poisons found in lawn and garden pesticides and flea and tick products. Signs of toxicity include apprehension, excessive salivation, urination, defecation, vomiting and diarrhea, and pinpoint pupils. If an animal has absorbed enough of any neurological toxin, sudden death may be the only sign.

Pyrethrins and pyrethroids, both natural and synthetic, are also neurological poisons. Natural names include pyrethrin I and II. Synthetic compounds include allethrin, resmethrin, and permethrin. They are found in insecticidal aerosols, dips, shampoos, and house and garden products. Signs of ingestion includeexcessive salivation, vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, and hyperexcitability or depression.

Coumarins, most recognizable as D-Con, a rat and mouse poison, affect the ability of the blood to clot. Mice that consume the poisoned grain essentially bleed to death. Your pets will be affected the same way, and the severity of the symptoms often depends on the amount ingested. Even cats who eat poisoned mice can become ill. If you find an empty box, look for labored breathing, anorexia, nosebleeds, bloody urine or feces, and pinpoint hemorrhages on the gums.

Tobacco products cause excitement, salivation, vomiting, muscle weakness, and coma or death, and the toxic effects can develop within minutes. Marijuana causes involuntary muscle movements, depression or excitability, trembling, and salivation. Large amounts can be fatal.

Aspirin and other pain relievers are in every home, and these poisonings can be severe. When aspirin is prescribed for animals, the dosage must be strictly followed. Too much aspirin can lead to anemia and gastric hemorrhage. Ibuprofen and naproxen will cause painful gastrointestinal problems. One 200mg ibuprofen tablet is toxic to a small dog.

Never give acetaminophen to a cat or dog. In cats the drug affects oxygen in the blood, and it produces severe depression and abdominal pain in dogs. If not quickly eliminated from the body, just two extra-strength tablets in 24 hours will most likely kill a small pet. Clinical signs in cats develop within one or two hours and include excessive salivation, paw and facial swelling, depression, and ash-gray gums. In dogs watch for anorexia, vomiting, depression, and abdominal pain. High doses are usually fatal.

Garbage is not often regarded as poisonous. After all, many animals find compost attractive. But toxins are produced by bacteria fermenting the garbage. Rapid and severe signs include vomiting, bloody diarrhea, painful abdominal distention, shivering, shock, and collapse.

How should pets be protected from these poisons? Some very simple rules to follow are:

Properly dispose of and store all pesticide containers up and out of sight of your pets. Make sure the lids are tight, the containers undamaged.

Use cords or locking lids for garbage cans. Put them in a heavy frame to prevent knock-down.

Keep pets off lawns sprayed with chemicals. Consult with the lawn care company for proper information on drying time and compounds used. Wash pets’ feet with mild soap and water if exposed.

Keep your pets out of vegetable and flower gardens. Encase compost piles or use commercially made containers.

Ask Your Vet about any new products that maybe poison and for your closest 24 hour emergency Vet Clinic phone # and info.

Activated Charcoal, research this natural product and get at health food store.

Toxins stuff to Keep-out of reach~
click to view